Monday, December 26, 2011

Playing Solitaire

I come from a crystal world
fragile, delicate, shiny, bright
Reflecting out rainbow hues
from each plain ray of light.

I know my magical touch
and see the wonder spread
As I add ethereal glints
from violet to red...

I drop then into the earth's womb
amongst darkness and rough-edged rocks
Every carefully etched side dimmed,
ravaged by the knocks and shocks!

In a world unlike the one I've known
feeling like a misplaced shard of glass
Every tinkle, I fear I'll shatter
Yet hoping for the nightmare to pass

I protest, rebel, pray, despair
then begin to crack bit by bit
When I look inwards and find it
My answer, my solution, my strength, my grit

The rocks don't seem so fearsome
darkness does not disturb my calm
I proudly evolve, beautifully transform
The crystal I was, the diamond I now am



(Yes, I'm learning to play my best hand at the cards I was dealt. Enjoyed using 'solitaire' in the three meanings of the game, the solitary status of the player and the rare diamond state.)